⇒ This is an update to my original post. If you haven't heard of this case before, please click the link to my first post so you know what's going on. There's additional sources and prior Reddit threads in that post, too. ⇐ My original post First update post - really just trying to get people to work together, not very updatey
I actually have two seconds of free time right now, so I owe you all a big update on this. I’m sorry it’s been forever!
I’ve had help from various Japanese speakers and people familiar with the case. I’m still having trouble with sourcing this information, since it’s just people’s Japanese translations. So this is going to be a lot of information and not a lot of sources – it’s pretty much people translating the Japanese Wikipedia page.
HUGE IMMENSE THANKS to: icisimousa Chelzero emimagique
for their translations and assistance :) Here are two articles, translated by Delgarus.
Thank you! We have sources! Article 1: Near the scene, a man with bloody hands Article 2: Did the killer leave at 3am?
In no particular order, corrections to my original post
1) The killer did not take the nengajo
(greeting cards, or New Year’s cards). A policeman took them in order to investigate the Miyazawa’s friends and they were not correctly returned to the department. They have since been located.
2) The killer’s fingerprints were found on the floor, a table, a shelf, a bandage, and the PC. His DNA, from bloodstains, was found on a towel.
3) The ice cream the killer ate were ice cream cups.
4) And the manufacturer of killer's knife is possibly Kaijirushi.
5) Yasuko was 41 when she died.
6) The killer took some money and a sweatshirt from the home. This may be the sweatshirt stolen
7) Yasuko’s mother does not remember if the door to the house was locked or unlocked. It is not known how the killer exited the home; he may have left through the front door.
8) The mysterious “red fluorescent” is apparently a very commonly used red highlighter marker, and therefore not super relevant to the case.
9) The killer’s father is East Asian.
It’s not known whether he was Korean, Chinese, or Japanese.
10) There were 10 cans of soda,
not 10 cans of beer. There was beer in the fridge, just not 10 cans of it.
11) It appears that the killer went around the house and collected trash or unnecessary items and tossed them in the bathtub. Items found in the bathtub: an ice cream wrappecup, documents and receipts from Mikio’s work, documents related to Yasuko’s school, feminine sanitary items that were used to stop someone (presumably the killer?) from bleeding, towels, and advertising leaflets that were torn or cut up with scissors. Some of these documents came from the first floor and were carried upstairs.
12) The times the killer used the computer were 1:18am and 10:05am on the 31st. The power cable was found at the scene, it had just been unplugged. update to the update
13) The stool evidence: the dish the killer had eaten was ingen no gomaae
, or green beans with sesame dressing. See a recipe here
. I am told this is typical Japanese homemade cuisine. Items the killer left at the scene See the Tokyo PD page with pictures and more details about these items
・Airtech jacket (Uniqlo) size L Price: 3900-5900 yen
This is not a down jacket; it has a “thinsulate” interior. It had sweat from someone with blood type A on its sleeve.
・Hat (Crusher) price: 1900 yen
・Gloves (Edwin) size 26cm price: about 1980 yen
・shirt (no brand) price: about 1500 yen
Only 130 of these shirts were sold. This shirt was only sold at a shop called Marufuru, which also sold the same type of hat and gloves that the killer left at the scene.
・2 black handkerchief (Mujirushi Ryouhin)
・Scarf – no tags, 130cmx30cm, acrylic, green background with red, black, orange and dark green plaid pattern, possibly from a 100yen shop
・knife (manufacturer is knife maker in Fukui prefecture, may be Kaijirushi) price: about 3500 yen
・hip bag From a company based in Osaka. price: about 2500 yen
This is sort of a cooler-looking fanny pack. It had sand from California (and Edwards AFB) inside it, as well as grip tape from a skateboard.
・shoes (Slazenger) price: about 5000 yen
Korean size 28, Japanese size 27.5cm
These shoes were not
left at the scene, however, their footprints were all over the house. This may be interesting, as Japanese people typically take their shoes off when indoors.
・cologne (Drakkar Noir by Guy Laroche)
The cologne was on the killer’s hankerchief. This is apparently not a Japanese-y thing to do. Further details about the case
1) The killer has blood type A.
2) It doesn’t seem that Japanese police are investigating a link to the US military. This seems to be the favored theory on here, however, if it is being looked into, it hasn’t been reported on.
3) Here are more pictures of the Miyazawa home. Japanese language website. One Two Three
7) The killer’s handkerchief was ironed. This may mean that the killer lives with a female relative who does his laundry for him – such as his mom.
Again, HUGE thanks to everyone who's helped out. My apologies for any and all mistakes I've made - Japanese is weird. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this new information!